Online Training Via Zoom –
DATES: Module 1 – 11-12th May 2024, Module 2 – 6-7th July 2024, Module 3 – 14-15th September 2024
Fundamentals of the Wheel of Consent for Psychotherapists
The Wheel Of Consent is a theoretical framework and a useful tool for psychotherapists who want to support their clients in unpacking relational dynamics. This course is not only about acquiring additional knowledge, but also enhancing your existing skills, and creating new resources both for your clients, and for yourself.
The course will give you:
- Increased awareness of the complexities of navigating consent and boundaries in all types of relationship, as well as an overview of the Wheel Of Consent as a simple, practical tool to navigate relating.
- A somatic understanding of how each of the 4 quadrants of the Wheel feels, as well as understanding its structure, and dynamics.
- An understanding of how the Wheel can be integrated alongside your existing working modalities and professional skills, and how it can be used as a tool to create more choice and safety for all your professional relationships.
You will receive a Certificate Of Attendance (not competency).
Alongside the theoretical learning, sessions will include: practical exercises (including the opportunity for self-touch, but not touch of another person); self-reflection; group discussion; case studies.
6 days; 5 hours per day – 10:00 to 12:45; 13:45 to 16:30
Module 1 : 2 days (standalone)
In this module you’ll be introduced to the theoretical framework of the Wheel Of Consent and its relevance within the field of somatic-based therapies and relational dynamics.
At the end of this module you’ll have increased awareness of the complexities of navigating consent and boundaries in all types of relationship, as well as an overview of the Wheel Of Consent as a simple, practical tool to navigate relating.
You’ll have an opportunity to lightly explore the essential dynamics of the Wheel from a personal perspective, and gain some insight into how this framework can inform and enhance your capacity to support your clients.
- The value of somatic approaches in therapeutic settings
- The Wheel Of Consent framework within the field of somatic therapy
- How the Wheel Of Consent can support mind/body connection in the context of neuroscience and trauma
- Introduction to the Wheel of Consent
- Personal experience of the core principles of the Wheel Of Consent: noticing, choosing and communicating
Module 2 : 2 days (only for those who’ve taken module 1)
The focus of this module is on helping you understand the Wheel Of Consent more deeply through practical experience and personal application.
At the end of this module you will have a somatic understanding of how each of the 4 quadrants of the Wheel Of Consent feels in your body, as well as understanding its structure, and dynamics.
You’ll also have practical tools for how to use the Wheel Of Consent to identify and communicate your needs, wants, limits and boundaries more clearly, and to support creating clear consent and agreements – both in your life, and in your client sessions.
- Exploration of limits and boundaries
- Practical exploration of the Wheel of Consent
- Engaging in a deeper personal somatic experience of each quadrant – including the 2 dynamics of the Wheel Of Consent, and the shadows of each quadrant.
- Noticing how the quadrants show up in your life and in your work
- Noticing your Therapist/Client relationships from a personal perspective through the lens of the Wheel of Consent
Module 3 : 2 days (only for those who’ve taken modules 1 and 2)
In this module you’ll take your learning from the previous modules and learn how you can apply that across a range of professional contexts – from client work to professional ethics.
At the end of this module you’ll have an understanding of how the Wheel Of Consent can be integrated alongside your existing working modalities and professional skills, and how it can be used as a tool to create more choice and safety for all your professional relationships.
- Applying the Wheel Of Consent professionally
- Integrating Wheel Of Consent approaches into your existing work
- Therapist/client relationships and boundaries continued
- Applying the Wheel Of Consent to your client’s issues
- Unpacking relational dynamics
- Application of Wheel Of Consent related tools within sessions
- How the Wheel Of Consent can support you with professional colleagues, supervision, and organisational relationships
COST: Each Module costs £220, all three taken together £600
Deposit: £50 for each Module or £100 for all three modules
To Book or for further information please Contact:
Gráinne Carr is a Coach and Trainer with decades of professional experience in each of these areas, a Wheel of Consent Facilitator and is co-creator of Consent Matters Ireland, an organisation whose vision is to make society safer through consent education, bringing awareness to the dynamics and pleasure contained within consensual and boundaried relating.
Grainne supports people in developing the life skills necessary to create and maintain healthy and fulfilling relationships, with themselves and with others, including intimate, familial, peer and professional relationships.
Michael Dresser is a Certified Sexological Bodyworker and Certified Workshop Facilitator for the Wheel Of Consent, as well as core teaching faculty for the School Of Consent’s training for professionals. Based near the Scottish Highlands and working mainly across various locations in Scotland, London and the UK, he offers one-to-one practical sex and intimacy coaching for men, and Wheel Of Consent coaching and workshops for everyone. He creates gentle, engaging touch-based environments for learning. Choice and the needs of the individual are at the centre of each learning experience he facilitates, whether in a group, a partnership, or with an individual.